Friday, October 21, 2016

The BIRTH of the maternity ward (get it?) and my plans for this year

This past year, two Minerva fellows from Union college went to stay at the clinic for a few months. One thing they realized was the need for a Maternity ward. 800 women die per day due to birth related complications and 3 million infants die per year in Uganda.

This year I am hoping to: 
1. develop a plan with sources of income through means of fundraising (by winter break)
2. raise awareness of childbirth complications 
3. put my fundraising plan into action (by March)
4. turn the blueprints into a real maternity ward (by the spring/summer)

What would the fundraised money go towards? 
1. training for midwives
2. employees salaries 
3. materials to build the maternity ward

I will be going back to Ddegeya village during this coming March, over spring break to see the maternity ward be built in action! I am so excited. This means that my plan is to hold several fundraisers inside and outside of the Emma Willard community and be prepared to go over to Uganda by March. I was also hoping to get others involved and hopefully some other girls from Emma Willard will be able to come with me. By April, I hope to bring my experience back home and spread awareness of the impact. I can't wait!!!

1 comment:

  1. Bella, could you please share your timeline in terms of monthly goals so that we can make sure that you progress towards the March building at a steady pace? Your two excellent posts will go towards your September milestones. You'll need two more for October. :)

    ReplyDelete